Search This Blog

Friday, August 21, 2026

The Day I Would Steal from Time

If you could relive one day from your past, which day would it be and why?

The Day I Would Steal from Time

If I were given a strange, impossible gift—the power to turn the hands of the clock backwards and relive one single day from my past—I would not choose a day of achievement, applause or triumph.
I would choose an ordinary day.
Perhaps that is the peculiar cruelty of growing older: we spend our youth waiting for extraordinary days, only to discover that the days we eventually miss most were astonishingly ordinary.
I would choose a day when life had not yet acquired its full weight. A day when the morning seemed endless, the afternoon unhurried and the evening carried no anxiety about tomorrow. A day when I did not know that some people I met would eventually become memories, that certain places would disappear, and that some doors, once closed, would never open again.
I would wake before the world became noisy.
I would listen carefully to the sounds that once passed unnoticed—the stirring of the morning, the distant voices, the rhythm of footsteps, perhaps the call of a bird perched somewhere beyond the window. I would not reach immediately for a telephone or worry about messages waiting to be answered. I would simply sit there and allow the morning to exist.
How rarely we inhabit the present while it is actually happening.
When we are young, we are forever leaning towards the future. We want the next class, the next examination, the next promotion, the next journey, the next achievement. We are impatient to become someone. And then, almost imperceptibly, the future becomes the present, the present becomes the past, and we discover that we have been rushing through the very life we wished to preserve.
If I could relive that one day, I would slow everything down.
I would look more closely at familiar faces. I would listen when someone spoke, instead of preparing my reply. I would laugh without wondering whether the laughter was worth remembering. I would walk through familiar streets as though seeing them for the first time.
And I would pay attention to the little things.
The smell of food being prepared. The warmth of sunlight on an old wall. The sound of rain against a roof. The rustle of pages in a book. The melancholy beauty of an evening sky. The peculiar comfort of a place that felt permanent only because I did not yet know that nothing is permanent.
Perhaps I would also say a few things that I once left unsaid.
That is one of life’s most persistent tragedies: we often discover the right words after the moment in which they mattered has passed.
I would say, Thank you.
I would say, I am sorry.
I would say, You mattered to me.
And perhaps, to some people, I would simply say, Stay a little longer.
But time does not negotiate.
The ancient Greeks imagined Chronos as the inexorable force of time, devouring everything in his path. The Indian imagination, too, has long understood the terrifying majesty of Kāla—time as both creator and destroyer. We may build monuments against oblivion, write books, preserve photographs and fill cupboards with souvenirs, but time remains undefeated.
Yet perhaps there is another way of understanding the past.
We cannot return to yesterday, but yesterday can return to us.
It comes in the fragrance of rain.
In an old song.
In a forgotten photograph.
In the turning of a page.
In a particular evening light that suddenly transports us across decades.
Memory is time’s secret rebellion against disappearance.
So, if I could relive one day, I would not try to change history. I would not correct every mistake or rewrite every decision. I would not attempt to manufacture a perfect life.
I would simply experience that day more completely.
For perhaps the greatest illusion of youth is believing that happiness announces itself.
It rarely does.
Happiness is often disguised as routine. It sits quietly at the breakfast table. It walks beside us on an ordinary road. It waits in an afternoon conversation. It hides inside a familiar melody. It accompanies us through days we barely notice.
Only much later do we recognise them as treasures.
If I were granted that impossible day, I would therefore make myself a promise: I would not take a single moment for granted.
And when midnight finally arrived, I would not plead with time to give me another day.
I would simply whisper, Thank you.
Because perhaps the purpose of reliving the past is not to remain there.
It is to return to the present with wiser eyes.
We cannot relive yesterday.
But we can live today in such a way that, years from now, when memory comes knocking, we will have a beautiful day to open the door to.
And perhaps that is the closest thing we have to travelling backwards through time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Day I Would Steal from Time

If you could relive one day from your past, which day would it be and why? The Day I Would Steal from Time If I were given a strange, imposs...