Search This Blog

Thursday, September 3, 2026

Breaking the Mould: The Things I Do Differently from the Way I Was Raised

What’s something you do completely differently from how you were raised?

Breaking the Mould: The Things I Do Differently from the Way I Was Raised

Every generation inherits more than a surname. We inherit habits, beliefs, fears, manners and unwritten rules about how life ought to be lived. Some of these become treasured traditions; others quietly follow us until, one day, we pause and ask ourselves: Is this really who I am, or merely who I was taught to be?

As I have travelled through the different seasons of life, I have realised that one of the most important forms of growing up is learning to distinguish between tradition and truth.

I was raised in an environment where discipline was highly valued. One learnt to respect elders, fulfil responsibilities, work hard and, above all, endure life’s difficulties without making too much noise about them. Feelings were often private possessions. One did not always speak about disappointment, loneliness or vulnerability. There was an unspoken understanding that strength meant carrying one’s burdens quietly.

Today, I do many things differently.

I believe that feelings deserve a voice.

I no longer consider expressing affection, gratitude or vulnerability a sign of weakness. If I care about someone, I try to tell them. If someone has helped me, I say thank you. If I miss somebody, I do not always hide it behind the convenient façade of being ‘fine’. Life has taught me that words left unsaid can become some of our heaviest regrets.

I have also become less convinced that silence is always virtuous.

I was raised to respect authority, but experience has taught me that respect does not require unquestioning obedience. It is possible to disagree without being disrespectful. It is possible to challenge an idea without insulting the person who holds it. And sometimes, asking why? is not rebellion; it is the beginning of wisdom.

Another difference lies in how I perceive success.

The world in which I grew up often measured achievement through tangible milestones — examinations, employment, status, possessions and social recognition. Today, I measure success rather differently. A peaceful mind, meaningful relationships, intellectual curiosity, the ability to remain kind in an increasingly impatient world, and the freedom to pursue something that gives life meaning seem far more valuable to me.

I have learnt that a full life is not necessarily a crowded life.

I also allow myself more room to pursue things simply because they bring joy. Reading a book, writing a page, listening to music, playing an instrument, watching the evening sky or having an unhurried conversation may accomplish nothing measurable — and yet such moments can enrich a life in ways that no certificate or possession can.

Perhaps the greatest difference, however, is that I have learnt to question the old idea that one must always appear strong.

There is courage in admitting that we do not know. There is dignity in saying that we were wrong. There is wisdom in changing our minds when experience presents us with a better truth. Growing older, I have discovered, should not make us rigid; it should make us more discerning.

Our parents and elders gave us the tools they believed would help us survive their world. But every generation enters a different world. We must therefore preserve the wisdom of the past without becoming prisoners of it.

I do not reject the way I was raised. On the contrary, I am grateful for much of it. It gave me discipline, resilience, responsibility and respect. But I have also learnt that inheritance is not instruction carved in stone. We may honour where we came from while choosing where we wish to go.

Perhaps that is what maturity really means — not abandoning our roots, but deciding which branches deserve to grow.

We are all, in some measure, unfinished manuscripts. Our childhood writes the opening chapters, circumstances add unexpected pages, and experience becomes our editor. Eventually, we pick up the pen ourselves.

And that is when life becomes truly our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking the Mould: The Things I Do Differently from the Way I Was Raised

What’s something you do completely differently from how you were raised? Breaking the Mould: The Things I Do Differently from the Way I Was ...