Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2026

The Trope That Makes Me Want to Throw the Book Across the Room

What’s the most annoying trope in books or movies?

The Trope That Makes Me Want to Throw the Book Across the Room

There are many things I forgive in books and films.

I can forgive an impossible plot. I can forgive a hero who survives a fall from the twentieth floor with nothing more than a slightly untidy hairstyle. I can even forgive the villain explaining his entire evil plan instead of simply getting on with it.

But there is one trope that makes me want to close the book, switch off the television and stare accusingly at the ceiling.

The utterly unnecessary misunderstanding.

You know the one.

Two people who supposedly love each other are standing three feet apart. One hears half a sentence, sees something completely innocent, jumps to the wildest possible conclusion and storms away.

The other person runs after them.

“Wait! It isn’t what you think!”

But, naturally, they don’t wait.

Because if they did, the story would be over in approximately four minutes.

Instead, they spend the next hundred pages—or forty-five minutes of screen time—avoiding each other, suffering in silence and behaving like two highly intelligent people who have suddenly forgotten the existence of language.

And I sit there thinking:

“For heaven’s sake, just ask!”

The beauty of modern technology has made this trope even more ridiculous. In the old days, perhaps we could blame the absence of telephones. Today, characters have smartphones, video calls, instant messaging and location sharing.

Yet somehow, nobody can send a simple message:

“What actually happened?”

No.

Instead, they stare dramatically at their phones and refuse to answer.

Or they type a message, delete it, type another, delete that one too, and finally throw the phone on the bed as though it has personally betrayed them.

I sometimes wonder whether writers secretly believe that communication is the enemy of good storytelling.

Of course, misunderstandings are part of life. We mishear things. We make assumptions. We see situations without knowing the whole story. Human beings are wonderfully imperfect creatures.

But there is a difference between a believable misunderstanding and a misunderstanding that requires every character in the story to temporarily lose their intelligence.

The worst examples usually follow a predictable formula.

Someone walks into a room.

They see their beloved embracing another person.

They immediately assume betrayal.

They leave.

The beloved turns around and says, “Oh, you’re back! This is my brother.”

And suddenly the audience is expected to spend the next hour waiting for the inevitable reconciliation.

My dear writer, the audience figured it out before the door even opened.

Another favourite is the overheard conversation.

Character A is explaining something perfectly innocent.

Character B arrives at precisely the wrong moment and hears only the sentence:

“I never loved her.”

Character B gasps.

Character A continues:

“…because she is my sister.”

But Character B has already disappeared into the rain.

Cue thunder.

Cue melancholy music.

Cue the hero running through several streets without a coat.

Why?

Because apparently nobody in this universe has discovered the revolutionary concept of context.

Then there is the secret that everybody knows except the person who matters.

Five characters are aware that the hero is actually the rightful heir to a kingdom.

The audience knows.

The villain knows.

The gardener knows.

The horse probably knows.

But somehow the hero remains completely unaware for twenty-seven chapters.

And nobody thinks it might be useful to tell him.

Perhaps the most irritating variation is the character who refuses to explain something because, “I can’t tell you.”

“Why?”

“I just can’t.”

“Is it dangerous?”

“Yes.”

“Is someone trying to kill me?”

“Yes.”

“Then perhaps you should tell me?”

“I can’t.”

At this point, I feel like entering the scene personally.

“Give me five minutes. I’ll explain everything.”

And then there is the classic romantic trope in which two people clearly adore each other but spend the entire story insisting that they don’t.

Everyone else can see it.

Their friends can see it.

Their families can see it.

The audience can see it.

The waiter serving their coffee can see it.

Even the dog can see it.

But the two protagonists remain emotionally blind.

“I don’t like him.”

“You talk about him all the time.”

“I do not.”

“You’ve mentioned him seventeen times today.”

“I was merely making an observation.”

“Yes. You observed him for three hours.”

Sometimes I suspect that if these characters simply sat down for a cup of tea and had one honest conversation, an entire trilogy would disappear.

And yet, despite my irritation, I have to admit something.

These tropes survive because they work.

Stories need obstacles.

Love needs complications.

Heroes need problems.

Villains need secrets.

And readers need reasons to keep turning pages.

The real problem isn’t the trope itself.

It is lazy storytelling.

A well-written misunderstanding can reveal character, expose insecurity, deepen a relationship or create genuine emotional tension. A poorly written one simply makes everyone look foolish.

Perhaps that is why the most annoying trope is not actually the misunderstanding.

It is the moment when the writer assumes the reader is stupid.

Readers are remarkably patient. We will follow authors into dystopian futures, haunted houses, magical kingdoms, complicated family histories and even alternate universes.

But we expect one thing in return:

Give us characters who behave like human beings.

Let them make mistakes, certainly.

Let them misunderstand.

Let them fall in love with the wrong person, trust the wrong person and occasionally make spectacularly bad decisions.

But please—at least occasionally—let them talk to each other.

Because sometimes the greatest plot twist in a book or film would be wonderfully simple:

The character asks a question.

The other character tells the truth.

They listen.

They understand.

And nobody runs dramatically into the rain.

Now that would be revolutionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Trope That Makes Me Want to Throw the Book Across the Room

What’s the most annoying trope in books or movies? The Trope That Makes Me Want to Throw the Book Across the Room There are many things I fo...