Search This Blog

Friday, October 2, 2026

If the Genie Granted Me One Wish…

The genie grants you a wish. What is it?

If the Genie Granted Me One Wish…

One ordinary morning, while the kettle is boiling and the world is busy pretending to have everything under control, a genie appears.

Not from a television commercial. Not from a WhatsApp forward. A real genie.

He adjusts his turban, clears his throat and says, rather grandly:

“You have one wish. Ask, and it shall be granted.”

For a moment, I would probably forget every sensible thing I have ever believed.

One wish!

Should I ask for wealth? Health? A house overlooking the sea? A never-ending supply of books? Perhaps a Royal Enfield that never needs servicing?

The possibilities are dangerous.

But after the excitement settles, I think I know what I would ask for.

I would ask for peace.

Not merely peace in the world, although that would certainly be welcome. I would ask for the quieter, rarer kind—the peace that resides within a human being.

The peace of not constantly comparing one’s life with another’s.

The peace of knowing that enough is enough.

The peace of forgiving those who hurt us and, perhaps more importantly, forgiving ourselves for the mistakes we cannot undo.

We spend an astonishing portion of our lives chasing things that promise happiness. We chase money, recognition, possessions, promotions, followers and approval. We renovate houses while neglecting the rooms within ourselves.

And then, one day, we discover that the treasure we were searching for was not buried somewhere outside us.

It was buried beneath our own restlessness.

If the genie offered me youth, I would hesitate. Youth is beautiful, but it comes with impatience. If he offered me immense wealth, I might ask whether it came with immense responsibility. If he offered me fame, I would probably remember that fame is a strange visitor—it arrives loudly and leaves without saying goodbye.

But peace?

Yes.

Give me enough peace to sit quietly without feeling guilty about doing nothing.

Give me enough wisdom to understand that not every argument deserves an answer.

Give me enough humility to say I was wrong.

Give me enough courage to say I love you while there is still time.

Give me enough gratitude to notice the small miracles that usually escape our attention—the morning light, a familiar voice, a child’s laughter, a cup of tea, an old song, a good book, a friend’s unexpected message.

And perhaps I would add one tiny clause to my wish.

Let the people I love have peace too.

Because happiness becomes strangely incomplete when it is enjoyed alone.

The genie might look at me suspiciously.

“That’s your one wish?”

“Yes.”

“No gold?”

“No.”

“No palace?”

“No.”

“No eternal youth?”

“Certainly not.”

He might shake his head. “You humans are becoming very philosophical.”

And I would smile.

“Perhaps we become philosophical only after discovering that everything else has an expiry date.”

The genie might then disappear in a puff of smoke, leaving behind neither diamonds nor treasure.

Only silence.

And perhaps that would be the real magic.

For the older I become, the more I suspect that a good life is not one in which we possess everything we once desired. It is one in which we no longer need everything we once desired.

Maybe the greatest wish is not:

“Give me more.”

Maybe it is:

“Teach me to need less, love more and live fully with what I already have.”

And if that sounds like a small wish, perhaps we have forgotten how much can fit inside something small.

Four lines to take home

If a genie grants one wish today,
Don’t ask for treasures that fade away.
Ask for a heart that can quietly see—
That enough, sometimes, is the richest of thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If the Genie Granted Me One Wish…

The genie grants you a wish. What is it? If the Genie Granted Me One Wish… One ordinary morning, while the kettle is boiling and the world i...