What’s a personal mantra or philosophy you live by?
The Sentence That Saved Me: My Philosophy Is Simple — Do Your Bit, Detach From the Noise

If you had asked me for my life philosophy in my thirties, I would have given you a complicated answer. Something about success, ambition, five-year plans, and proving a point to the world.
Today, at 65, it fits into one line.
Do your best, and let go of the rest.
That is it. That is the mantra I try to live by. Not every day perfectly, but every day sincerely.
It sounds almost too simple, doesn’t it? We live in a world that loves complex formulas for happiness — seven habits, ten rules, twelve steps. But I have found that life does not reward complexity. It rewards clarity.
This philosophy did not come from a book. It came from life quietly teaching me the same lesson until I finally listened.
- Do Your Bit, Properly
In our scriptures, it is said far more beautifully: Karmanye vadhikaraste — you have a right to your action, not to its fruit.
For years, I got this backwards. I worried about the fruit. Will this project be appreciated? Will this person reciprocate? Will this effort be recognised?
That worry made me anxious and, quite frankly, less effective. The moment I shifted my focus to just doing my bit — with honesty, with diligence, with care — a strange calm came over me.
Whether it is writing an article, helping a younger colleague, or just tending to my morning walk, I ask myself one question: Did I do this as well as I could, with the right intention? If the answer is yes, my job is done.
The result is not my business. My effort is.
- Detach From the Noise
The second half — let go of the rest — is harder. Much harder.
We cannot control people’s opinions, the market, health scares, or how our children choose to live their lives. We can only control our response to them.
Earlier in life, I carried everything. If someone was upset, I felt responsible. If a plan failed, I replayed it for days. I was living in results that had not even happened yet.
Detachment is not indifference. It is not saying “I don’t care.” It is saying “I care deeply, but I will not let what I cannot control destroy my peace.”
I have learned to do what is needed and then step back. To give advice when asked, but not force it. To work hard, but not tie my self-worth to the outcome. It is a daily practice, not a final achievement.
- Why This Philosophy Works, Especially Now
In this later chapter of life, this mantra has become my anchor.
When your body does not recover as quickly, when you see friends face difficult times, when you realise time is finite — you understand that peace is not a luxury. It is a necessity.
Doing your best keeps you useful, engaged, and self-respecting. Letting go of the rest keeps you sane, humble, and free.
It has improved my relationships. I listen more and expect less. It has improved my health. I sleep better when I am not arguing with life in my head. And it has made my work more joyful, because I write and create for the love of doing it, not for the anxiety of how it will be received.
You do not need to control the ocean to avoid drowning. You just need to learn to float.
So that is my philosophy: Do your bit with integrity. Let life do its bit in its own time.
It will not make life perfect. But it will make you steady when life is not.
What about you? If you had to write your life philosophy in one sentence, what would it be?
No comments:
Post a Comment